Preparing for flash floods can help you avoid inconveniences that come with flooding. It is crucial to prepare for flash floods before, during, and after. Not all torrents are similar as some floods develop over some time while others grow slowly. Flash floods regularly have a hazardous wall of noisy water that moves mud, rocks, and other debris.
Even if you live in a low-risk flooding area, note that any place that receives rain can flood. Having not experienced a flash flood in the past is not a guarantee that you wouldn’t face one in times to come. Be aware of flood threats, more so if you reside in flat areas, near water bodies, or downstream from a dam.Here are the various precautions to take before, during, and after flash floods. Click To Tweet
Before the Flood
When preparing for a flash flood, you should:
- Cover your basement walls with waterproofing mixtures to avoid leakage.
- Set up check valves in sewer traps to prevent water from backing up into the drains of your home.
- Raise the furnace, water heater, and electric panel if they are prone to flooding.
- Shun building in flood-prone areas lest you hoist and strengthen your home.
- Switch off all electrical appliances, gas, heating, and the like if you have enough time to do so.
- Vacate from the zone before it gets too late.
- Avoid driving through floods since moving water can sweep you away.
- Stay away from power lines or broken power transmission cables.
- Please keep away from floods as they may comprise chemicals or other harmful materials.
- Avoid any building that is fenced by floodwater.
- Vacate from a set down power lines and report them to your power company.
- Repair spoiled septic tanks, cesspools, pits, and filter systems as quickly as possible.
- Go back home only when authorities report it is safe.
- Avoid swimming, diving, or playing in floodwater.
- Listen for news reports on whether the community’s water supply is safe to drink.
Using the Aqua Barrier to Protect Your Property
Floods may cause emotional trauma or physical vulnerabilities. A reliable way to protect your property from the devastating impacts of flooding is by installing the Aqua Barrier around it. The inflatable water cofferdam helps create a dry working site in flood-prone areas, making it an essential tool for every property owner.
Join the conversation and learn how the Aqua Barrier inflatable dam works.